- A recognised 16-hour qualification in outdoor first aid.
- Certificate is valid for three years.
- The course equips you to give emergency fist aid to someone who is injured or becomes ill in a remote outdoor environment.
Suitable for most national governing body awards including:
- Walking Group Leader
- Single Pitch Award
- Summer and Winter Mountain Leaders
- Mountain bike leaders/instructors
- DofE (Duke of Edinburgh’s Award) leaders
- Forest School leaders
- Recognised by the British Canoe Union as suitable for the 2-day first aid requirement for coaches
- Meets the needs of the Scout Association’s ‘Full First Aid Certificate’
- We run a specific RYA (Royal Yachting Association) first aid course.
What we cover
You will learn about possible injuries and illnesses affecting those involved in outdoor activities and how to assess and manage an incident when you are away from immediate help.
We discuss and practice assessing and managing an incident outdoors including:
- How to deal with an emergency
- Managing safety at the scene
- Contacting the emergency services
- Deciding whether to move a patient
- Making the best use of available equipment.
We cover important first aid techniques including:
- Basic life support
- Controlling bleeding
- Managing injuries and illnesses
- Treating illnesses caused by heat and cold
- Ensuring pain and suffering is reduced as much as possible.
We use practical examples and make the course relevant to the situations you could face with the opportunity to practice scenarios outside.
Downend Folk House, Lincombe Barn, Overndale Rd, Bristol BS16 2RW
- There is ample parking on site (car park access off Rockland Rd).
- The venue is about 5 mins drive from the M4/M32 (J1).
- The nearest train station is Bristol Parkway – 3.5 miles away.
- Buses run from the centre of Bristol to Downend and from Bristol Parkway. Use Traveline South West to plan your journey.